Thursday, June 21, 2012

St Thomas on grace

St Thomas on grace

Today I read one of the most obscure texts I've yet seen, st Thomas on the essence of grace. I found it difficult first to understand what he was saying and second to understand why this was true but he points to other articles in the Summa. This came up when trying to think of objections to the thesis that grace does not destroy nature but elevates and perfects it. I spent some time considering what a theological consideration is. That was helpful. But now I am more confident that I do not know exactly what grace. I will read the text again more slowly and spending time with the Latin. And then I will turn to the parts he references to justify his arguments.

What does it mean for something to be in the essence of the soul? That is something else I must learn.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment